TAFE in schools
The TAFE in Schools Program presents a comprehensive range of vocational courses on offer at the Southern Queensland Institute of TAFE (SQIT).
The TAFE in Schools Program offers many benefits to students which include:
- credit points towards the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
- credits into a TAFE Diploma and/or university course
- saving yourself money by gaining credits
- job-ready, industry relevant skills
- learning from qualified TAFE teachers who are industry professionals.
Students in Years 10 (students must be 15 years and over to participate), 11 and 12 can attend SQIT one day per week during the school term to complete the course.
Courses are available either at TAFE Campuses, or externally using online delivery or workbooks and support from SQIT teachers.
TAFE in Schools Information is available for download.
Courses available by campus
- Complete the relevant forms:
- Read the SQIT Student guide supplied upon enrolment.
- Notify your school of intention to study at TAFE and arrange for payment of fees to your school to avoid missing out on a class place.
Notify your school of intention to study at TAFE and arrange for payment of fees to your school to avoid missing out on a class place.
In 2012, the Southern Queensland Institute of TAFE (SQIT) and Centenary Heights State High School will launch School2Skills (S2S) for students in Year 11. The program will allow students to complete their senior years of schooling, obtain a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) whilst fast tracking their career in a chosen vocational area.
What is School2Skills?
S2S provides students with the opportunity to gain 'real-world skills' whilst studying a school based apprenticeship or traineeship and completing their senior schooling. The aim is to give students a head start in the workforce. School subjects are scheduled around industry placement and training, allowing for a smooth transition from school to work or further qualifications.
Schools2Skills information session
Date: Tuesday, 29 November
Time: 6:00pm to 7:00pm
Location: Future's Restaurant, SQIT Toowoomba Campus, 100 Bridge street Toowoomba
Enquiries: Phone Wendy Young on (07) 4694 1701 or send an email.
Benefits of School2Skills
- Gain job-ready, industry relevant skills and experience
- Smooth transition from school to work
- Achieve a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE)
- Credits into a TAFE Diploma and/or university course
- Learning from qualified TAFE teachers who are industry professionals.
S2S is delivered over two years, commencing in January. We provide support for students to complete the necessary subjects needed to obtain their QCE, gain vocational experience, knowledge and skills, and obtain a school-based apprenticeship or traineeship. Students will enrol in core school subjects including Mathematics and English which will be delivered by Education Queensland staff.
Industry experts from SQIT will deliver trade and vocational programs. Both school and TAFE subjects will be delivered at SQIT Toowoomba campus.
Initial target skills areas for 2012 are:
- Engineering (Diesel-fitting)
Applicants must have completed Year 10, or equivalent, and be at least 15 years if age. They will need to complete an expression of interest form, attend an interview and demonstrate a minimum standard in literacy and numeracy prior to the commencement of the program.
Further information and packs will be distributed later in the year.
To find out more information contact:
Acting Education Manager
Ph: (07) 4694 1701
Centenary Heights State High School
Ph: (07) 4636 7500